Whitespace-mode writes dots for space-chars in the overlay

From: jenia.ivlev
Subject: Whitespace-mode writes dots for space-chars in the overlay
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2015 08:47:56 -0500

Hello:

I'm using `org-indent-mode`. As far as I understand, the whitespace on the
left are not in the buffer itself but in an overlay.

The problem is that - when `org-indent-mode` is used in conjunction with
`whitespace-mode` - then `whitesapce-mode` writes dots in the overlay
(org-indent-mode's overlay).

So to reiterate, whitespace-mode normally writes a dot (probably in it's
own overlay) for every whitespace in the buffer. What I would like to
change is it substituting whitespace - in the org-indent-mode overlay -
for dots.

How cna I change this behaviour? In other words, for the whitespace-mode
to only work in the buffer and not the overlays of other modes.

Just in case someone wants to see it, I left a question on emacs
stackoverlfow with pictures:
http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/17770/whitespace-mode-write-dots-for-space-chars

Thanks in advance for your kind help and time.
Jenia