Re: Suppress (pop kill-ring) from *Messages*

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Suppress (pop kill-ring) from *Messages*
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 01:41:01 +0100

Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> writes:

> I often prefer to have an item popped off of the
> kill ring programmatically/automatically.
>
> If I invoke (pop kill-ring) from some elisp code,
> the top item shows in in *Messages*
>
> If I invoke browse-kill-ring and delete the top
> item, it is done silently.
>
> How can I suppress the recording of the item
> in messages?

Perhaps (?) this experimentation is of interest to you:

(defun test-suppress-messages ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((log-size message-log-max)) ; (setq message-log-max 1000)
    (setq message-log-max nil)
    (message "No buffer, not last - suppressed!")
    (setq message-log-max log-size)
    (message "Buffer, so this message is logged.")
    (message "Buffer and last, so this message is echoed as well as logged.") ))
;; (test-suppress-messages)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573