Re: Window too big

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: Re: Window too big
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 14:26:45 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 03:36:20 +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> writes:
>
>> When I start emacs from the menu in xcfe, it always is slightly taller
>> than my screen. I have to mouse around and make it smaller before it is
>> usable. Is there something I can put, say, in my ~/.emacs file to
>> change how tall it is?
>
> If you don't start Emacs from the menu in xcfe, but open a terminal
> emulator window (e.g., xterm) and type 'emacs', you can append options
> that will allow you to easily fine tune what should happen. I'm sure you
> can modify the menu item to encompass such options, but at least in the
> experimentation phase, and actually every time else as well, it is
> faster, and more powerful, to do it from a command interpreter. Anyway,
> here are some of the options you wish to examine - do
>
>     $ man emacs
>
> for more!
>
>       -fh, --fullheight
>               Make the first frame as high as the screen.
>
>       -fs, --fullscreen
>               Make the first frame fullscreen.
>
>       -fw, --fullwidth
>               Make the first frame as wide as the screen.
>
>       -mm, --maximized
>               Maximize the first frame, like "-fw -fh".

Should I conclude there is no way within emacs to set the variable that
control window size (or shoulf I say, panel size?)  There does seem to be
a way to request full-screen mode, so there must be a way for emacs to
determine the screen size

Or that emacs has the wrong default size for my computer, or that xcfe
has simply decided to override them with the wrong values?

-- hendrik