Re: Feeling lost without tabs

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Feeling lost without tabs
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 13:07:29 -0700

swe20144@gmail.com wrote:
> ... Now I'm trying to bring this to the other application I spend a
> lot of time on: my web browser.
>
> I usually have about 20 web browser tabs open at any given time, and using
> the mouse
> to go to a specific tab just breaks my flow. I'm sure it's the same for other
> people.
> How do you guys overcome this? Is there a chrome extension I haven't learnt
> about
> yet?

The best Chrome/Chromium plugin for me is the Vimium plugin.  It is
designed to bring vim keys to the web browser.  But it is
configurable.  And some Emacs keys have always been available in vi
too and are therefore available immediately in Chromium with Vimium.
Check it out as you might like it.

Unfortunately Chrome's architecture means that plugins cannot work
outside of "external" pages.  Therefore nothing can be perfect as a
plugin.  But it is better than not having it there.

Also I customize my X Window System environment and set:

  gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"

With that in my ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file everything that uses GTK widgets
will use Emacs key bindings by default.  That means C-l to get to the
URL location bar and then C-b, C-f, and so forth all work as in Emacs
in Firefox, Chrome, other.  "The way it should be." :-)

Bob