Re: Is gnu.emacs.gnus dead?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is gnu.emacs.gnus dead?
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 22:08:32 +0000

David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:

> I am trying to use gnus translate, i.e. f10 article
> transate. I got babel.el from
>
> https://github.com/juergenhoetzel/babel
>
> but it seems to just hang.
>
> I have tried some other versions but none has worked
> so far. Is this now defunct?

To answer your question in the subject line: no,
gnu.emacs.gnus isn't dead. Getting data from the
Usenet server nntp.aioe.org, I see your post. As of
now, no one answered, but that is another issue.

Yet another issue is: instead of using nttp.aioe.org,
I'd recommend using Gmane, i.e. news.gmane.org where
your post also appeared in the gmane.emacs.gnus.user
newsgroup.

(Sometimes people talk of the Gmane hierarchy as
"Usenet" but it is actually a gateway so mailing lists
can be interacted with as if they were Usenet
newsgroups. This distinction is not academic but very
important. And I'm not just saying that...)

To (not) answer your question about Gnus and Babel:
I don't know. The translation stuff I do is collected
in an interface [1] to the google-translate package,
which you can get from ELPA. Perhaps that is helpful
to you as well.

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/translate.el

--
underground experts united