Re: Inserting character 'க்ஷ' in GNU Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Inserting character 'க்ஷ' in GNU Emacs
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 19:41:50 +0200

> Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 22:43:35 +0530
> From: Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan@gmail.com>
>
> I have fonts-lohit-taml-classical installed on Ubuntu 14.10. I am
> trying to input the character 'க்ஷ' in GNU Emacs 24.5.1. This
> character is a combination of 'க' and 'ஷ' which are the only
> characters available in Tamil Unicode.
>
>   http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0B80.pdf
>
> If I copy this character 'க்ஷ' from a UTF-8 website and insert the
> same in a file (say, test.txt) using Gedit, it copies fine. I use
> Monospace font. I am able to open the same file in GNU Emacs, and it
> shows the character as 'க்ஷ'. Using C-u C-x = in this character
> displays the following:
>
> === க்ஷ viewed in GNU Emacs ===
>
>              position: 2101 of 2106 (100%), column: 0
>             character: க (displayed as க) (codepoint 2965, #o5625, #xb95)
>     preferred charset: unicode-bmp (Unicode Basic Multilingual Plane
> (U+0000..U+FFFF))
> code point in charset: 0x0B95
>                script: tamil
>                syntax: w which means: word
>              category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong)
>              to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
>           buffer code: #xE0 #xAE #x95
>             file code: #xE0 #xAE #x95 (encoded by coding system utf-8)
>               display: composed to form "க்ஷ" (see below)
>
> Composed with the following character(s) "்ஷ" using this font:
>   xft:-unknown-Lohit Tamil
> Classical-normal-normal-normal-*-17-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1
> by these glyphs:
>   [0 2 0 217 24 -1 22 8 4 nil]
>
> Character code properties: customize what to show
>   name: TAMIL LETTER KA
>   general-category: Lo (Letter, Other)
>   decomposition: (2965) ('க')
>
> There are text properties here:
>   fontified            t

> How can I input this character directly in GNU Emacs? I have a custom
> layout defined using quail:
>

> https://github.com/shakthimaan/cask-dot-emacs/blob/master/lib/tamil-dvorak.el

It's not one character, it's 3 characters that get displayed as a
single "grapheme cluster".  The "Composed with" sentence above shows
you the other 2 characters.  You need to type them all, one after the
other.  One way to type them is also shown: "C-x 8 RET" followed by
the hex code or name of the character (e.g., "TAMIL LETTER KA").