Re: Execute a string as a command

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: Execute a string as a command
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 07:17:54 -0900

* Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> [151106 00:57]:
> Tim Johnson wrote:
> > Here is an example of what could be a working function 'interning'
> > a string :
> > (defun tj-toggle-funcs ()
> >   "Toggle functions"
> >   (interactive)
> >   (let ((menu
> >      '("" ("" ("Transient Mark Mode" . "transient-mark-mode"))
> >            ("Truncate Lines" . "toggle-truncate-lines")
> >            ("Show Tabs" .  "toggle-tabs-font-lock"))))
> >     (choice ))
> >     (setq choice (tmm-prompt menu))
> >     (if choice
> >     (call-interactively (intern choice)))))
> >
> > My preference *would* be that a command object be read from the
> > 'menu structure, but wasn't able to make it work.
> > So my next step is to figure out how to place a command object as a
> > value instead of a string... and then evaluate it properly.
  Thanks for the reply :

> Check out the Elisp manual on pop-up menus, which use the function
> x-popup-menu, which takes the same kind of menu structure as tmm-prompt.

   1)I'm a bit "mouse averse" - I.E. I prefer tmm-prompt for
   numerous reasons.

   2)The Elisp manual (as far as I have found it) does not give any
   working examples which have edified me.

   What has eluded me so far is how to use commands as values in the
   alist - this is why I introduced the topic of evaluating a string
   as a command.

> C-h i Elisp RET Pop-up menus RET
>
> An alternative to what you're trying to do would be to use the hydra
> package:
>
> https://github.com/abo-abo/hydra
>
> Here is my toggle hydra, for example:
>
> ```
> (defhydra jk-hydra-toggle (:color blue)
>   "Change"
>   ("d" toggle-debug-on-error "Debug")
>   ("w" writeroom-mode "Writeroom")
>   ("i" ispell-change-dictionary "Change Ispell Dictionary")
>   ("f" toggle-fill-unfill "Fill")
>   ("F" follow-mode "Follow mode")
>   ("t" orgtbl-mode "OrgTbl mode")
>   ("y" typo-mode "Typo mode")
>   ("q" nil "Cancel"))
> (bind-key "s-r" #'jk-hydra-toggle/body)
> ```
  The formatting of this structure above makes total sense, but can
  it be used for tmm-prompt.

> Yeah, ok, so `ispell-change-dictionary` is not a toggle... But you get the
> idea. ;-)
>
> HTH

  Thanks very much.
--