S/MIME with OpenSSL?

From: Jens Lechtenboerger
Subject: S/MIME with OpenSSL?
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2015 17:15:02 +0100

Hi there,

I plan to refactor the code used for GnuPG in the Message mode of
Emacs (Gnus) and started a discussion on the Gnus devel mailing list
ding.  An open issue is the use of OpenSSL for S/MIME in Emacs,
which might be removed in the future.  So if you use S/MIME via
OpenSSL, please let me know why.

I recommend that you use gpgsm instead of openssl for S/MIME as:
** Gpgsm manages certificates (storage, expiry, revocation).
   Users need to perform those tasks manually with openssl.
** Openssl has bugs as documented in the BUGS section of man smime(1).
   In particular: SMIMECapabilities are ignored, no revocation checking
   is done on the signer's certificate.
** Advertised SMIMECapabilities include broken encryption algorithms.
   With the precompiled openssl 1.0.1f on my system RC2 is advertised,
   which should have been dropped since S/MIME 3.x, see:
   https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5751#appendix-B

Currently, openssl is preferred over epg (gpgsm), via
(defcustom mml-smime-use (if (featurep 'epg) 'epg 'openssl))
in mml-smime.el.  However, epg does not get loaded on its own even if it
is present.  Thus, users need to set mml-smime-use or require epg in
their ~/.emacs, but the manual does not mention gpgsm at all.

I plan to change this to prefer epg by default (and to document and
recommend gpgsm).

What’s your opinion?

Best wishes
Jens

P.S. I’d like to clarify that I recommend OpenPGP, not S/MIME.
Still, S/MIME is better than plaintext.