Re: Inserting ே and க்ஷ without the dotted circle

From: Shakthi Kannan
Subject: Re: Inserting ே and க்ஷ without the dotted circle
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 21:25:23 +0530

Hi,

--- On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 2:24 AM, Random832 <random832@fastmail.com> wrote:
| Have you tried the classical font in gedit
\--

I use the following to enter Tamil text in X:

  $ setxkbmap us,in dvorak,tam_unicode grp:lwin_toggle

I changed the font to use "Lohit Tamil Classical", but, typing Tamil
characters didn't show anything in Gedit. But, I was able to see the
characters in the browser and in GNU Emacs when I tried to type.

---
| and ubuntu mono in emacs,
\--

This is the default font that I use in GNU Emacs.

---
| When you move the cursor over it, does it become one large cursor
| covering the whole thing (even though it is rendered incorrectly), or
| does the cursor move over each piece of it individually?
\--

The latter. The cursor moves over each piece individually.

---
| If you do have to edit the font, I think it won't be as simple as adding
| a character with a unicode codepoint.
\--

I use xelatex to generate PDF from the input Tamil file, and it
renders ஸ்ரீ correctly in the output PDF. I can live with it for now.

Thanks!

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan