Re: How to determine (from Elisp) whether the Emacs frame has focus?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to determine (from Elisp) whether the Emacs frame has focus?
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 11:36:02 +0200

> From: Random832 <random832@fastmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 03:36:03 -0500
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> > I'm probably missing something very important, because I don't
> > understand what you are looking for.  The selected frame by definition
> > has focus, at least AFAIK.  What am I missing?
>
> Well that may be true who never leave their Emacs instance, but for the
> rest of us some non-Emacs application might have focus instead.

Ah, so he meant detect when some other application has focus?  That's
what I was missing, thanks.

Then I don't understand why the solution of focus-in/out-hook was
rejected as "hackish".  These hooks are there precisely for situations
like these, AFAIK.  IMO, there's nothing hackish about that.

> (Also I suspect by "selected" he meant a frame the programmer "selects"
> to pass in to e.g. a function that answers the question, rather than
> selected-frame.)

I indeed feel there might still be aspects of the original question
that need to be further clarified.