Re: how to tell graphical Emacs to shutdown cleanly from tty1?

From: Tom Roche
Subject: Re: how to tell graphical Emacs to shutdown cleanly from tty1?
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 12:01:49 -0700

Tom Roche http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-11/msg00215.html
>> Occasionally [my X] desktop hangs, in which case I usually can goto tty1 and
>> `sudo shutdown -whatever now`. [But I believe] I should utter something from
>> tty1 (before `shutdown`) to tell Emacs to shutdown cleanly ... but I don't
>> know what to say.

Thanks all! To make this more findable, and to allow better annotation (since
my not-quite-complete solution still has problems), I have made
http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/18171/how-to-tell-graphical-emacs-to-shutdown-cleanly-from-tty1/18172#18172
 . Your assistance cleaning up the remaining problems (indicated @ link target)
would be much appreciated.

Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-11/msg00223.html
> [another] relevant question is, why is your X hanging?

Relevant, but not currently pressing, due to

- *much* bigger problems in my life :-(

+ my X hangs with f < monthly

~ I suspect it's due to the relative immaturity of Cinnamon (but ICBW--I'm
certainly no expert in this domain)

Your assistance is appreciated! Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>