Caret tracking with gnome shell magnifier

From: Eric Danan
Subject: Caret tracking with gnome shell magnifier
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 23:48:52 +0100

Hello,

This is my first message and I hope it is appropriate to send it to this
list.

Due to a visual impairment I constantly work with a screen magnifier turned
on (in full screen mode), and I need it to track the caret to follow what I
am typing.

So far I have been using emacs 24.5 on cygwin on windows 7, and the windows
7 magnifier does the job of tracking the caret.

I am considering switching to gnome on linux and therefore installed the
manjaro-gnome distribution to try it out. The gnome (3.18) shell magnifier
supports caret tracking and it works in all applications I have tried
except emacs (24.5).

Hence I am wondering whether there is something I did not set up properly
in emacs, or whether I did not install it correctly (I used the built-in
package manager though). Would somebody know how to proceed or have a
suggestion?

If there is no way to get it to work in emacs, should I rather send this
message to a bug or feature-request list? Or perhaps the problem is not in
emacs but rather in gnome, or some other package? If somebody could point
me to some explanation of how this works, I would be very grateful. I am
new to linux and searched the web for answers with no success.

Best regards,

Eric