Re: What's the right way to define a custom info path.

From: Pierre Téchoueyres
Subject: Re: What's the right way to define a custom info path.
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 20:54:25 +0100

First, thanks for the answer.
I note that the recommended way to setup info is to use INFOPATH.
But, just for my knowledge, I would ask you about one or two things below.

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> ** My questions
>>    Have I do something wrong with my config ? Should I set an INFOPATH
>>    env var with absolutes paths ? If the answer of the previous questions
>>    is : No, should I open bugs ?
>
> The way to set this up correctly is to define the INFOPATH environment
> variable (outside Emacs) which mentions the directories with Info
> files in the proper order.  The Emacs is supposed to automatically
> pick up the directories from INFOPATH, and you should be able to read
> your manuals without any further problems.
>
> You are instead trying to futz with Emacs variables that are not
> supposed to do that well.  I suggest to save yourself a lot of trouble
> and go via INFOPATH.
>
>> ** My questions
>>    Have I do something wrong with my config ? Should I set an INFOPATH
>>    env var with absolutes paths ?
>
> Yes to INFOPATH.
>
>>    If the answer of the previous questions is : No, should I open bugs ?
>
> No, there's no bug here, AFAICT.  If you want to set up
> Info-directory-list or Info-additional-directory-list, you must load
> info.elc first.  (But again, I don't recommend going that way.)

But these two variables could be modified with the custom machinery, and so
without requiring info[.elc] aren't they ? But I understand your advice that
doing that is discouraged.

Second, the default value for Info-default-directory-list (as computed by
the defcustom in info.el) is ("%emacs_dir/info") on my windows install. Is
this the expected behaviour ? this value is obviously overridden by info-
initialize and become, in my install, ("c:/programmes/emacs/info").
Again is this the expected behaviour ?

Third, in the windows patform (substitute-env-vars "%emacs_dir%") doesn't
produce "c:/programmes/emacs" as I expected. But (substitute-env-vars
"$emacs_dir") do the expansion. Is this the expected behaviour ? Is it that
we should not offer a version that performs primary processing ?

Thanks agin for your answers.