Re: which one to use: custom-set-variables, customize-set-variable, or c

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: which one to use: custom-set-variables, customize-set-variable, or customize-set-value?
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 09:52:13 +0100

Hello Drew,

On 2015-11-29 20:19, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:

>> I recently read a message where, if I read it correctly, it was
>> recommended to use `customize-set-variable' and `customize-set-value'
>> to change settings in an init file while playing nice with the
>> custom system. I looked at their documentation and I have trouble
>> understanding how they differ. I see there is also
>> `custom-set-variables' which has a different signature.
>>
>> So my question is: should I use `setq', `customize-set-variable',
>> `customize-set-value', or `custom-set-variables' to change in my
>> init file variables that exist in the custom ecosystem?
>
> Good question!  Here is my understanding, which might not be
> 100% correct:

Thank you for the explanation. For the moment I'm sticking with
`customize-set-variable' and I'll see if I get in trouble.

> I agree that the doc is not very clear.  Recently I forgot
> that `customize-set-value' does not use the defcustom's :set
> function, and I was bitten by the fact that it does not.

I'm curious about this: what is the scenario where this can be
a problem?

Thanks,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Athmospheric CO₂ (Updated November 22, 2015, Mauna Loa Obs.): 400.35 ppm