Re: How to IRC?

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Re: How to IRC?
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 16:58:20 +0100

If you want to use an Emacs client I would suggest the default one,
rcirc (bundled with emacs). Here's a quick tutorial.

Let's say you want to join the #emacs channel on the Freenode network.

C-u M-x irc RET
Emacs should prompt you for:
- a server. Default is freenode on my config (full domain just in
case: irc.freenode.net)
- a port. Freenode servers listen on several ports [1]. 6667 will do.
- a nick. This is the name others will see when you talk. Limit
yourself to ascii with no space.
- a username. Leave default.
- a password. Leave empty.
- irc channel: #emacs. Channels are usually prefixed with #.
- encryption. Leave default.

rcirc opens a server buffer (*irc.freenode.net*) which is used to send
server commands (you probably don't need it at this point) and a
buffer per channel (#emacs@irc.freenode.net) where you can actually
discuss. Switch to the #emacs@irc.freenode.net buffer and start
talking!

If you close the channel buffer, other will see you left the channel
but you are still connected to the server. You need to kill the server
buffer to be completely disconnected.

1: https://freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml