Re: searching for one person's replies in a gnus mailbox only, and not t

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: searching for one person's replies in a gnus mailbox only, and not the rest.
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2015 21:47:42 +0100

>>> I believe it can be configured to work with nnml.
>>> You will need a custom nnir backend. IIRC namazu
>>> and swish(e|++) can both be used here. ...
>>
>> Right -- I think the main point, implicit in Will's
>> answer, is that Gnus doesn't index or search
>> anything by itself. Nnir is its interface to the
>> search functionality provided by any given backend.
>> Backends like nnimap and nntp come with their own
>> search abilities, but nnml is just files on disk:
>> you need a program to do the searching, then nnir
>> will talk to that program.
>
> OK, so it should work like this:
>
>     nnml -> nnir -> namazu, or swish(el++)
>
> I'll be back if/when I get it to work...

On Debian:

    sudo aptitude install namazu namazu2-index-tools

Then get this file:

    https://github.com/deftsp/.emacs.d/blob/master/packages/gnus-namazu.el

Gunzip (and restore the .el suffix), then move the
file to `load-path'.

In Emacs:

    (require 'gnus-namazu)
    (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "" (nnir-search-engine namazu))
                                          (nntp "news.gmane.org")
                                          (nntp "news.gwene.org")
                                          (nntp "news.gnus.org")
                                          ))

Then:

    M-x gnus-namazu-create-index RET

(wait)

    M-x gnus-namazu-search <search string> RET

This searches *all* groups, not just the one at point
as with `G G' (which still doesn't work for nnml,
perhaps some setting is still not in effect...)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573