Re: Preventing ERC automated channel disconnects

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: Preventing ERC automated channel disconnects
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2015 08:30:57 +0100

On 2015-12-05 21:41, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

>> (I'm currently using weechat in a tmux session on a server to stay
>> connected,
>
> I am doing almost the same thing using 'screen' and 'irssi'.  I go
> back and forth on using 'mosh' (the mobile shell) or not.  It has some
> quirks that one needs to know about, specifically it will leave orphan
> processes behind unless you avoid doing so.  But I am back to using it
> again and it has advantages if you drive it.
>
>   https://mosh.mit.edu/

I've used mosh in the past but I never thought of using it to re-attach
a screen session. Thank you for the suggestion (and the great technical
details).

One feature I would really like mosh to have is a tunnel setting (i.e.,
use it to provide a connection to other programs).

>> but it's outside of emacs which is sad).
>
> Which is exactly why I would like to be able to use emacs too.  But at
> the moment using erc means that it disconnects everything every time I
> use it.  Bad.  (Unless I take extreme measures to cut the network
> before it can disconnect, then exit erc while it can't tell the remote
> end to leave channels.)  Otherwise I would be using emacs erc as my
> irc client.

I'm giving circe a try, and it seems to be working well. I just had to
reconnect after going to work and it did not seem to end the remote
channels.

>> Which irc bouncer would you recommend using?
>
> I don't have any specific recommendation.  I happen to be using irssi
> because through my route through irc clients it was the one I liked
> and was using and irssi also provides an irc bouncer proxy.  Therefore
> I happen to be using it.  And the bouncer feature works well enough.
> But if someone were wanting *only* an irc bouncer I don't think irssi
> is particularly outstanding if that is the only task it is doing.
>
> A good friend of mine is using 'Bip'.  It sounds interesting.  I have
> been wanting to set it up and try it.  I think if you were going to
> start somewhere that Bip might be a good place to start.  But note
> that I haven't tried it yet myself.

I'm trying znc and I find it works quite well. My chat setup is a bit
convoluted (circe in emacs → ssh tunnel → znc on raspberry pi at home →
bitlbee), but it seems to be fine for the moment.

Thanks again for the great advice,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Athmospheric COâ‚‚ (Updated November 29, 2015, Mauna Loa Obs.): 400.37 ppm