[closed]Re: Saving window config using desktop globals

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: [closed]Re: Saving window config using desktop globals
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 15:09:30 -0900

* Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> [151213 16:33]:

>    BTW: I've settled on emacs as an alternative to vim, which I've
>    used for projects for many years. Vim restores window layouts
>    quite easily. Vim uses TABS, but I think the usage of registers
>    for window layouts (including saving and retrieving them) could
>    trump the use of tabs and in the long run make things easier to
>    manage.

 As the OP, I'm calling this closed (not solved). I kind of blew the
 subject line. The inquiry evolved to the possibility of saving
 window configs in a register in 'register-alist as stored in a
 .desktop file.

 From further research, it appears to not be possible, as the window
 configs are in C code, not elisp. I'm sure that there are other
 solutions, which I'll pursue later, but it would be great if that
 feature were added.  That way the programmer could
 preserve/serialize several different window layouts for a large
 coding project.

 My thanks to Immanuel for his input.

 I will be temporarily suspending this email address soon, as I will
 be traveling. Should there be any more responses, I can find them
 in the archives.

--
Tim