where to post packages (was: Re: Wizardry Inc.: find-command)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: where to post packages (was: Re: Wizardry Inc.: find-command)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 02:21:52 +0100

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> Please do post to comp.Emacs.sources too.
> Which I believe is the canonical NG for new packages

There is a gnu.emacs.sources (or gmane.emacs.sources)
but traffic is to >90% updates from ELPA - e.g., the
most recent post is:

    Version 20151214 of GNU ELPA package org has just been
    released. You can now find it in M-x package-list RET.

    More at http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/org.html

Likely there is a trigger/hook in the ELPA software
which sends a message to gnu.emacs.sources whenever
a package is added. (Probably Stefan Monnier can tell
you more about all this.)

So gmane.emacs.sources isn't the right place if you
want feedback on your Elisp and I suspect very few
people use it as a source for new packages (despite
its name).

Perhaps gmane.emacs.devel is better than
gmane.emacs.help tho.

As for the [M]ELPAs themselves that might require some
overhead getting the formal stuff right, and I don't know
how restrictive they are including new software.
I suppose they have different policies (with respect
to both technology and politics) to motivate their
parallel existence. I always got the impression MELPA
was less restrictive, but now I read they are "curated
- no obsolete, renamed, forked or randomly hacked
packages" so perhaps that isn't true. [1]

The feedback issue remains tho with the package
manager solution where I suppose it is at its lowest.
When people find something that doesn't work, they
typically look for some other package that does the
same instead of writing the writer of the original
package. I try to not be like this myself when using
the Debian repos and ~50% of the times I get answers
from whoever wrote the code.

[1] https://melpa.org/

--
underground experts united