Re: Can't type in Command Prompt

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Can't type in Command Prompt
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 16:51:23 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>
>> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 15:46:40 +0100
>>
>> When I have to use a MS-Windows box, I install cygwin
>> (http://cygwin.com) and run emacs in cygwin, so that I have a unix-like
>> environment and command interpreter (ie. bash).
>
> That's an advice I don't recommend giving to anyone who could be faint
> at heart.  Cygwin programs and a native Windows build of Emacs are
> subtly incompatible, and will not work well without some tinkering.

Agreed, it's not for random MS-Windows users.  It's an option for unix
or Linux users who don't know much about MS-Windows and who'd want to
have a familiar environment on that system.

Granted, there are quite some subtle and not-so-subtle differences,
notably with respect to paths, between the same program, like GNU emacs,
running directly on MS-Windows, or running on cygwin.

However, I imagine that a lot of emacs users actually rely on the
underlying unix system more than they would like to confess.  For a
starter, we all use shell or term…  I have a sizeable collection of
emacs lisp commands and utilities, but I still write unix my scripts (in
clisp); how many emacs users write ALL their scripts in emacs lisp (and
thus, would be entirely at ease when changing from underlying system,
and perhaps even running emacs bare on a kernel)?

But yes, those are only consideration for a specific class of emacs users.