RE: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 17:37:49 -0800 (PST)

> I have stopped hoping that the current maintainers of Emacs still have an
> ounce of common sense. How on Earth can it be possible (and quite easy) to
> allow replacing a huge hidden selection when pasting text without any
> warning ? I have lost large amounts of data with this incredibly stupid
> behavior. There isn't even a warning when saving a file which has shrunk a
> lot, like there once was. How can I DEFINITELY avoid overwriting an
> invisible selection in all versions of Emacs?

I can tell you are upset, and I would be too, no doubt.  But if you
can describe what you did in more detail it would help.

At the very least it might help others avoid the same gotcha that
apparently bit you.  This is a user help list, and most people
reading it and contributing to it are users, like you.

If you can provide a step-by-step recipe to describe what you did
and what happened, that can also serve as a bug report or enhancement
request, which you can post using `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

HTH.