Re: 64 bit official Windows builds

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 64 bit official Windows builds
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 09:35:58 +0200

> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 15:01:53 -0800 (PST)
> From: Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com>
>
> Are there any plans for GNU to create official 64 bit builds of
> Emacs releases?

You mean, for Windows?  Or for all 64-bit platforms?

If the former, this simply needs a volunteer who'd be prepared to
produce the binaries, package them in a compressed archive, set up
uploading rights to the GNU servers, and upload the stuff whenever a
new release is out.

> I  understand we use mingw to cross-compile

MinGW is not a cross compiler, at least not when it runs on Windows
natively.  It's a native Windows port of GNU development tools (GCC
and Binutils) that runs on MS-Windows, targets MS-Windows, and uses
the Windows runtime libraries for its C library.

> I'm used it to build 64 bit Windows applications in the past (from a
> GNU/Linux build machine) with great success. Is there any technical reason
> why we can't do this for Emacs?

A 64-bit build using MinGW64 already works, and several people use it
all the time.  If you have MinGW64 installed, you can compile Emacs
with it any time you want.  Uploading the binaries requires a
volunteer to step forward, but there are no technical problems that
would prevent this.