Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text

From: Alexandre Oberlin
Subject: Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2016 16:11:11 -0800 (PST)

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 12:05:17 AM UTC+1, Drew Adams wrote:

> Apologies for not following this thread.  But offhand I'd say that
> there's your problem right there: you enable `delete-selection-mode'
> but you disable `transient-mark-mode'.  That should be a no-no.
Oh my dear, I managed to hit a no-no! But if it's a no-no why is it possible in
the first place? Why ain't there a single warning? Where are emacs's no-nos
listed? Where is the checkbox and message saying "I agree not to do any emacs
no-no, even if I don't know what they are"?  Are you serious?

You can't ask all Emacs users to be expert in its ever changing configuration
rules. Don't you think they might have some other work to do? Enabling
delete-selection-mode and disabling transient-mark-mode is nothing more than
what an average user unsatisfied with the default behavior would try at first
in order to get a "Windows notepad" like behavior regarding selection and
overwriting. This is not rocket science is it?

However, I must repeat that the problem is not really here, since the program
often functions correctly with the above settings. All I can conclude by now is
that all users of Emacs today must be aware of an unpublished list of no-nos
which allow the program to function erratically.

I am sure you will gain loads of Windows users with that kind of philosophy.