Find file locally from Tramp buffer

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Find file locally from Tramp buffer
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 20:35:52 +0100

Hey everyone,

Suppose I run builds on a dedicated build machine with `compile' via Tramp. When there is an error displayed and one follows it, clearly Emacs tries to access the corresponding file remotely. But in my case, I have mounted the same source code directory structure as is on the build machine in order to develop the code locally. Hence, it would be nice to somehow teach Emacs to first probe whether it can access the corresponding file locally, and if not, fallback to accessing it remotely via Tramp. It would also be nice if the implementation of this feature would apply not only to compilation buffers, but would be rather located on a lower level to intercept all file finding requests from Tramp buffers.

I do realize that the use case is very special and is not meant for broad audience, so this should not be considered as a feature request. That is I merely want to know how to implement it properly on my own. Any suggestions or ideas on improvement or generalization of this idea are very welcome.

Kind regards,
Alexander