Re: 64 bit official Windows builds

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: 64 bit official Windows builds
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 22:19:01 +0100

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

> It sounds like you know how to do this a lot better than I do.

No, not really.  I just managed to build Emacs after a recipe you can
find here:

http://sourceforge.net/p/emacsbinw64/wiki/Build%20guideline%20for%20MSYS2-MinGW-w64%20system/

and now here as well:

    http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/nt/INSTALL.W64?h=emacs-25

After the discussion here, I looked closer at how Msys2/MinGW-w64
manages its packages.

    http://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/Contributing%20to%20MSYS2/
    https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages

The optional packages for building Emacs are:

    mingw-w64-libtiff
    mingw-w64-giflib
    mingw-w64-libpng
    mingw-w64-libjpeg-turbo
    mingw-w64-librsvg
    mingw-w64-libxml2
    mingw-w64-gnutls
    mingw-w64-xpm-nox

and their dependencies are: (`pactree --help')

    mingw-w64-bzip2
    mingw-w64-cairo
    mingw-w64-expat
    mingw-w64-fontconfig
    mingw-w64-freetype
    mingw-w64-gdk-pixbuf2
    mingw-w64-gettext
    mingw-w64-glib2
    mingw-w64-gmp
    mingw-w64-harfbuzz
    mingw-w64-jasper
    mingw-w64-libcroco
    mingw-w64-libffi
    mingw-w64-libiconv
    mingw-w64-lzo2
    mingw-w64-pango
    mingw-w64-pixman
    mingw-w64-xz
    mingw-w64-zlib

It is possible to build source archives incl. the patches coming from
Msys2 project with `makepkg-mingw' command.  The process is start the
`msys2_shell' and do:

   git clone "https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages";
   cd MINGW-packages/mingw-w64-libtiff
   MINGW_INSTALLS=mingw64 makepkg-mingw --nobuild -sL
   MINGW_INSTALLS=mingw64 makepkg-mingw --allsource -sLf

I tried this and it worked for all the packages except for
`mingw-w64-gettext', `mingw-w64-gmp' and `mingw-w64-gnutls'.  I have to
take a closer look.  So I think it would be possible to provide source
tarballs for the DLLs.

> Is there any chance you could package this up so that everybody can
> get your 64 bit builds of Emacs for Windows from the FSF site? If the
> sources are listed already, maybe you could just create a tarball
> containing all the sources of the compiler and required libraries?

Sources of the compiler?  Do you mean gcc?  No, I won't go there :-)

> It would be really good from an automation point of view if you could
> write a little recipe (maybe an appveyor script?) that could be
> triggered when new versions of emacs (or the compiler) are released.

I'm not familiar with appveyor.

Best, Arash