Letters "invisible" in Redhat 6.6

From: peter . lingsberg
Subject: Letters "invisible" in Redhat 6.6
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 00:17:45 -0800 (PST)

I'm using RHEL6.6 but emacs is behaving very strange. Letters disappear
(doesn't show) while I write. I have to do Ctrl-L to refresh to see the
characters. Extremely annoying and I can hardly use emacs anymore. Version on
emacs is 1:23.1-25.el6. I downloaded a newer emacs and compiled it, but the
problem persists. Could it have something to do with X or gdm?

I have been running RHEL6.4 for a couple of years and had no problem with emacs
there.

Snapshot of how it looks when I write or just move around with the cursor. Note
that all spaces actually have chars:
http://ladda-upp.se/files/2016/b178199.jpg

If I then reload page with Ctrl-L, the window looks like this:
http://ladda-upp.se/files/2016/b178200.jpg

The characters are suddenly visible. But as soon as I start write or move
cursor, the characters will be invisible again.

emacs -q, emacs -Q or changing fonts won't help. What to do??? I love emacs but
I can't use it when it behaves like this...

Not sure graphic card is relevant. I run RHEL6.6 out-of-the-box as a virtual
machine in VMware, but it is exactly the same environment as I had in RHEL6.4
and there were no problems with emacs there.