How to bind the same function to different keys with different behaviour

From: sokobania . 01
Subject: How to bind the same function to different keys with different behaviours?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 04:55:40 -0800 (PST)

In the basic modemap, the ascii keys are bound to `self-insert-command'.
As it is not an emacs-lisp function, I cannot "copy" its code.

I want to bind the keys [A-Z] to `my-self-insert-command' with something like:
(for key from ?A to ?Z do
  (bind-key my-mode-map key 'my-self-insert-command))

This function kind of inserts the current key pressed under some conditions.

So far, I don't know how to get acces to the current key pressed from within
`my-self-insert-command'.

Is this possible?

If it is not possible, I'll do something like:

(for key from ?A to ?Z do
  (bind-key my-mode-map key (lambda () (my-self-insert-command key))))