Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text

From: Alexandre Oberlin
Subject: Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 17:42:52 +0100

On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 05:09:23 +0100, Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 6:11 AM, Alexandre Oberlin <alxobr@gmail.com> wrote:

Enabling delete-selection-mode and disabling transient-mark-mode is nothing more than what an average user unsatisfied with the default behavior would try at first in order to get a "Windows notepad" like behavior regarding selection and overwriting.

No. A Windows Notepad–like behavior is what you get with
transient-mark-mode, shift-select-mode, delete-selection-mode and
cua-mode all enabled.
Sooo simple to emulate the sophisticated notepad ??
Actually your statement is not true (at least in GNU Emacs 24.5.1)
If I set the mark with all that you mention enabled, then the region is extended and highlighted when pressing the arrow keys without SHIFT, as well as while isearching. This is exactly what I want to avoid and it never happen in notepad.