Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text

From: Alexandre Oberlin
Subject: Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 18:13:10 +0100

On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 06:08:59 +0100, Random832 <random832@fastmail.com> wrote:

A) I think his point is that the user is frustrated and so goes for
whatever knobs look shiny rather than making a reasoned decision
about what options are most suited to their needs.
Talk as you feel.

B) Transient
mark mode, AIUI, doesn't actually affect users who don't explicitly
set the mark in any noticeable way.
I do set the mark. I use regions/selections, mind you.
BTW, I enabled transient-mark-mode right now in order to test Yuri’s suggestion for emulating notepad, and I noticed that non highlighted regions get deleted with CTRL+W as well if transient-mark-mode is on.

C) IMO delete-selection-mode should never cause text in a non-active
region to be deleted.
Again, it does. It does with paste, and maybe even more consistently with kill-region (also with transient-mark-mode on, see above).

And I can't reproduce the behavior (not that
I seriously expected to, given that it's apparently intermittent.)
I do have a question for Alexandre, though... has this ever happened
with typed text, or only pasting/yanking?
I have no remembrance of this happening on an invisible region by typing, even typing the delete key. It only happens with kill-region or paste.