Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text

From: Alexandre Oberlin
Subject: Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 16:35:40 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 15:07:03 +0100, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

So please provide a detailed recipe to reproduce the problem (and send
it to M-x report-emacs-bug).
It might not conform to the "philosophy" behind transient-mark-mode, but in GNU Emacs 24.5.1 kill-region DOES CONSISTENTLY kill an invisible (unactivated) region, also when transient-mark-mode is enabled, and even if delete-selection-mode is off. However, I personally have usually no problem with that, since it is stable and the intent is killing text anyway: you just can type C-x C-x to be sure. On the other hand, I DID (several years ago already) and STILL DO have problems with the similar pasting issue, which is NOT stable.

To get an invisible region while transient-mark-mode is OFF (that is
"(transient-mark-mode -1)" in .emacs):
1. Open a file
2. Type CTRL+SPACE ONCE
3. Move the cursor with an arrow key
4. Type CTRL+W
The invisible region gets killed, whatever the value of delete-selection-mode.

To get an invisible region while transient-mark-mode is ON (that is
"(transient-mark-mode +1)" in .emacs):
1. Open a file
2. Type CTRL+SPACE TWICE
3. Move the cursor with an arrow key
4. Type CTRL+W
The invisible region gets killed, whatever the value of delete-selection-mode.

As already repeated, the behavior with pasting is NOT consistent. There seems to be one state where it overwrites, and another state where it doesn’t, while in both states transient-mark-mode is OFF and delete-selection-mode is ON. I am not aware of any way to reliably change from one state to the other.

Cheers,

Alexandre