Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 11:11:12 -0500

Hi Alexandre,

Can you do M-x describe-face RET region RET and tell us what you see.

The fact that you mention that your selected region always stays
"invisible" is bothering me.
The region is probably getting selected and displayed but you probably just
are not seeing it because of the "region" face.

Possible reasons:
- Resolution of colors on your system
- Accessing a remote machine via something like VNC. I have personally seen
VNC degrade the color resolution based on the network connection speed.

Check this out: http://imgur.com/a/XkIyk

Here the upper picture (where you can distinguish the background of the
"sample" text) is a screenshot of my VNC session under normal conditions.
The bottom picture (where the "sample" background blends with the rest of
the background) is what I get under poor network connection or if I force
my VNC to represent colors with just 256 options (8-bit color).

So in summary, if you do M-x describe-face RET region RET and you see that
the "sample"'s background is not distinguished from the rest, THAT's the
problem!

To temporarily fix it, do M-x customize-face RET region RET and change the
Background color to anything that makes the "sample" in that buffer stand
out and then see if the invisibility spell is broken.

PS: All the developers who responded to you have been very polite. They all
have been very helpful to me. I respect all of them.