Re: amacsclient with emacs daemon/server on remote host

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: amacsclient with emacs daemon/server on remote host
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 22:53:40 -0500

ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

> On 01/16/2016 11:36 AM, kstrempel@gmail.com wrote:
>> Am Sonntag, 17. August 2014 15:29:33 UTC+2 schrieb lee:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to find out how I could run an instance of emacs on a remote
>>> host and access this instance with emacsclient over the network.
>>>
>>> Currently, I'm doing this all the time with the instance of emacs
>>> running on the local host with (server-start) in my ~/.emacs.  I'd like
>>> to do the same, but with emacs running on the remote host.
>>>
>>> Is this even possible, and if so, how do I tell the server to listen on
>>> a port for network connections?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.
>>
>> Did you found a way to do that? I'm trying to find a way to connect from OS
>> X to an emacs daemon in my vagrant box.
>>

> A crazy long time ago I did this, when networks and computers were
> slower and security wasn't so formidable, but it should still be
> doable today... and probably faster.  Essentially your local machine
> becomes and X server, meaning your local machine's display, keyboard,
> mouse, etc. are used when running a command (here, emacs) on the
> remote machine.  Wild guess would be to run locally 'ssh -X -c "emacs
> filename"'.  But you'd likely need to configure X, Xclient, and the
> security bits so you don't get Denials.
>
> I dont know Macs, so that's another game altogether.  I was working
> with Linux on both ends.  Sorry.
>
> Please let us know what you get to work.

About twenty years ago, there was a gnuclient/gnuserver combination that
allowed connections over TCP sockets, written IIRC by Andy Norman, who
also wrote ange-ftp, the precursor of tramp. But slowly, its
capabilities were migrated to the built-in emacsclient/server, which I
believe can now use TCP sockets - for more details, see

C-h v server-use-tcp RET

and

M-x man RET emacsclient RET

for the --server option.

Perhaps

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12546722/using-emacs-server-and-emacsclient-on-other-machines-as-other-users

will be helpful also: I did not read all of it and I certainly have not
tried anything out.

--
Nick