Re: Libre graphics could become the standard if we push right now

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: Libre graphics could become the standard if we push right now
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 11:54:06 -0500

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 04:59:49PM +0100, Anders Andersson wrote:

> While we're on the topic of horrible horrible things that I don't want
> to think about, and makes me want to move to a cave and run my own
> transistor-based CPU:
>
> https://libreboot.org/faq/#microcode
>
> And more generally, secret chipset firmware: https://libreboot.org/faq/#intel

It seemed obvious years ago that backdoors would be present in CPUs, and
this simply confirms it. I thought the only answer would be a CPU fab in
China, because _in practical terms_ the backdoor would not be open to
people pointing guns at me or otherwise interested in tracking me.

Does anyone know of plans to produce a CPU other than in the US?