Re: Need "xemacs/init.el" => "emacs/init.el" help

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: Need "xemacs/init.el" => "emacs/init.el" help
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 14:14:14 -0800

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 22:49:50 +0100, in message
87io2mli0x.fsf@debian.uxu, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> Dale Snell <ddsnell@frontier.com> writes:
>
> > ;;; Set the major mode for new buffers to text-mode:
> > (setq major-more 'text-mode) ;;; Set the fill column:
> > (add-hook 'text-mode-hook (lambda () (setq-default
> > fill-column 66)))
>
> Hm - `setq-default' in a mode-specific hook?
> Isn't that a contradiction in, uhm, purpose?
>
> What happens if you just put
>
>     (setq-default fill-column 66)
>
> in the init file?

That didn't work, which is why I used the hook.  I forget where I
found that method.  It might even have been in the Emacs manual.
Or it was on someone's web page.  I don't know, it's been years
since I wrote that part.  You're probably right about the
"setq-default", though.  I'll have to try plain "setq" and see
what happens.

> > Also, Emacs defines M-q to run fill-paragraph by
> > default; there's no need to define your
> > own keybinding.
>
> Well, there can be such a need even in the face of
> default bindings but in this case there isn't as M-q
> is very good and especially compared to F6 which is
> very bad.

There we are in agreement.  I know Emacs defines some function
keys by default, but I generally don't use them.  I have two
function keys set: [f1] for help, and [f12] to compile-command.
Actually, I have [f12] to run the command, S-[f12] to set the
command, and C-[f12] to abort the run.  Since neither the help
function nor compile-command are things I use that much, I'm fine
with them bound to function keys.

--Dale

--
Sign in coffee shop:  "Children left unattended will be given an
espresso and a Free Puppy."