How to I read from the stdin input stream from inside Emacs?

From: Davin Pearson
Subject: How to I read from the stdin input stream from inside Emacs?
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 17:24:56 -0800 (PST)

I have the following command in my Makefile:

foo:
     javac *.java |& emacs --batch --load sjs-error.el --funcall doit

I have tried the following code but it doesn't work:

(defun doit ()
   (while (input-pending-p)
     (message (format "input %s" last-input-event))))

 I also tried the following code but it doesn't work:

(defun doit ()
  (while (input-pending-p)
    (message (read-key-sequence))))

Please could one of you braniacs come up with some code that works!