Re: can vc-annotate display changes from one day

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: can vc-annotate display changes from one day
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 18:17:03 +0300

On 01/25/2016 06:08 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

    > vc-annotate uses the dates in the output. Which were recently
    > changed to not include the time in Hg backend.

Recently is when? Because I seem now to remember that the behavior was
different a while ago.

It was one of the changes you asked for (and received) in http://debbugs.gnu.org/21805.

   > Other backends do the same, so I didn't think it to be a major problem.

Since I also changed from Xemacs to GNU emacs and from RCS to HG at the
same time some month ago, I can't say anything about RCS in GNU emacs.

By "other backends", I meant Git and Bazaar.

I find the new behavior counter intuitive. Right now I have to check
almost every hour the changes I did in my files and vc-annotate does not
display those changes.

It just fails to distinguish them with colors, right? The changes are still displayed (say, with commit numbers on the side).

But the 3rd package ahg uses annotate in a way that looks more natural
to me, it is able to distinguish the different commits I made during a
day, but it lacks features vc-annotate offers.

How does it look? Please send a screenshot.

Is there any way to have, at least optionally, such a behavior in
vc-annotate?

Having both short dates in the output and per-minute commit highlighting granularity is not trivial to implement.

Or am I the only one to complain....

So far - yes.