RE: Problem with whitespaces in search

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Problem with whitespaces in search
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 08:00:45 -0800 (PST)

> > This is a case where something that is a feature for one person is a
> > bug to another person.  I always disable "lax space matching" myself.
> >
> > This is documented here:
> >   https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Special-
> >         Isearch.html
>
> Thanks Bob. I was wishing to find sequence of whitespaces ; so I followed
> Tomas help and put (setq  isearch-lax-whitespace nil) in .emacs and now I
> have what I expect.

You can toggle the whitespace-matching behavior during Isearch using
`M-s SPC' (command `isearch-toggle-lax-whitespace').

The doc string of `isearch-lax-whitespace' should tell you this directly,
but it says only that you can use `isearch-toggle-lax-whitespace'.  It
does not tell you that this command is bound to `M-s SPC' during Isearch.

I've just now filed bug #22483 for this oversight.