linum + narrow = hang

From: unfrostedpoptart
Subject: linum + narrow = hang
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 17:51:50 -0800 (PST)

Help!

I've been using emacs/Linux (usually RHEL) for many years and have always used
c-x n n (narrow-to-region) and have used linum (global-linux-mode t in my
init.el / custom-set-variables).   Lately, possibly since running on SUSE,
emacs hangs if I try and narrow while linum is on.

It displays
Error in Post-command-hook (linum-update-current): (args-out-of-range 1 1)

The only way out seems to be kill -9 emacs-process.

Any ideas?  This is messing with my flow having to shut off linum.  Yes, I have
the line number in the mode line but my compiler reports give errors with line
numbers and it's much faster to see what's going on with linum.

Here's my config:
gnu emacs 24.5.1 x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu , GTK+ Version 2.18.9)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11, Patchlevel 3

Thanks much,

 David