Re: User interface to bad certificate warning -- how to use?

From: N. Jackson
Subject: Re: User interface to bad certificate warning -- how to use?
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 22:17:27 -0400

Thank you for your response Lars.

At 06:02 +0100 on Monday 2016-02-01, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> nljlistbox2@gmail.com (N. Jackson) writes:
>
>> Is the user intended to type in the full text of their choice or the
>> first letter or what?
>
> I think the standard in Emacs is to use capitalisation to say what
> characters you're supposed to hit.

I should probably know that. I just don't see prompts to choose between
options very often, so I wasn't sure.

>> The prompt seems to disappear when _any_ key is pressed
>
> I don't think that's what happened.  When you tried selecting the text,
> you probably ended up aborting the function, just as if you'd hit `C-g'.

On further investigation, some invalid key presses (such as `z')
correctly result in a followup prompt, but other invalid key presses
(such as the arrow keys) result in the prompt silently disappearing.
I've opened bug#22530 for this.

I'm not sure what aborting the function would mean here. Is it the same
as responding `n' to the prompt (i.e. don't continue connecting to the
insecure server)? From the user's perspective, the command just issued
was `M-x gnus', so if it were aborted Gnus "shouldn't" start. It's a bit
fuzzy. Probably best though, if it didn't abort unless the user pressed
`C-g'.

>> After the prompt is gone, the help window remains

> The help window should have gone away.  Please report this as a bug with
> `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

This is now bug#22532.