Meta key for 'emacs -nw'

From: Bob Bernstein
Subject: Meta key for 'emacs -nw'
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 04:06:46 +0000 (UTC)

Emacs, unless specifically told not to do it -- with the
'-nw' option, will ordinarily launch here (in an xterm) in X
window fashion, and the Meta key is then 'Alt'.

Launched in the same xterm, with '-nw,' emacs uses Esc for
its Meta key, which I find um disenchanting, for lack of a
better term.

Do I need to place some information in my .emacs, perhaps
related to the minibuffer, instructing emacs to stay with Alt
for its Meta key?

Or is this a matter of setting my xterm correctly?

(A thousand pardons if this is a  F A Q.)

--
Bob Bernstein