Re: Symbol's function definition is void: locating the code

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Symbol's function definition is void: locating the code
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 22:47:20 +0100

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> Am I guessing right when the algorithm for locating missing
> functions is:
>
> 1. Web-search with "emacs" and the function name
> 2. Search the Emacs source code repository to find it in the most
>    recent code

Suppossing that it is expected to be defined on the Emacs sources, a
symbol might be absent from your install either because it is too old
(the symbol was introduced on a more recent Emacs version) or too new
(the symbol was removed from the Emacs sources). The later case is not
very frequent because the Emacs maintainers are very conservative when
removing old stuff.