Re: Password prompt inside Emacs with epg-gpg-program -> "gpg2"?

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: Password prompt inside Emacs with epg-gpg-program -> "gpg2"?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 12:23:57 +0900

> I tried pinentry.el from Gnu Elpa.  What do I need to add exactly to
> "~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf"?  Just "allow-emacs-pinentry" as the package's
> doc tells doesn't work.

pinentry.el requires GnuPG >= 2.1.5 and Pinentry >= 0.9.8, as mentioned
in the header comment.  Is the version requirement met on your system?

If it is all fine, try reloading the configuration with:

  gpgconf --reload gpg-agent

as gpg-agent doesn't automatically reload the configuration.

> Perhaps pinentry.el and the pinentry program should be included in
> Emacs?  Having this stuff work out of the box would be nice.

pinentry.el is actually in lisp/net/ already.  For the pinentry program,
I don't think it is feasible, since there isn't (and won't be) a way to
use a custom pinentry program from the gpg command line:
https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2015-May/029862.html

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno