Re: Building an open source cross development chain

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Building an open source cross development chain
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 02:01:11 +0100

deadbrain <jerome@javaxpert.com> writes:

> Hi all, I'd like to know if someone succeed in
> building a full open source development chain around
> Emacs for embedded cross development(with
> gcc-arm-none-eabi cross compiler& deboger, openocd).
> Can you debog directly from Emacs ? All ideas are
> welcome...

What's the first link in a "full open source
development chain"? I think that is a natural place to
start... You can worry about "deboging" later.

In general, on a Unix system, there are files that can
execute and files that cannot. The files that can
execute can produce and modify the files that are
static.

With Emacs, you can write files that can turn into
files that can execute. When the files can execute,
you can use Emacs as an interface to have them execute
in different ways and on different targets.

So assuming your tools are Unix tools, then *yes*, you
can operate them completely from Emacs.

And I really think you are onto something because that
is also the best way to operate things :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573