Re: Confusion about Undo keybinding

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Confusion about Undo keybinding
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 21:28:37 +0100

Kevin Havener <havenerk@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't think I have any .emacs type file overriding
> the defaults

You can check this with emacs -Q.

> C-/ is bound to undo in graphical mode and in xterm
> (-nw) mode.

I wouldn't call this "xterm mode" as just about any
terminal emulator (urxvt, Gnome terminal, etc.) should
be able to do this.

But actually the Emacs help mentions xterm:

    -nw, --no-window-system
            Tell Emacs not to create a graphical  frame.   If  you  use
            this  switch  when  invoking Emacs from an xterm(1) window,
            display is done in that window.

> C-/ is bound to DEL in my linux virtual consoles.
> How is this possible?

Here is a tutorial if you want to rebind it:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/tty-emacs-keys.txt

use, e.g.:

    (define-key input-decode-map [?\u0114] [C-/])

> Can you tell me what is going on?

The Linux VTs are not the same as X. xterm may appear
closer to the Linux VTs but it is not: it *is*
"x"term, aye?

PS. I have `undo' M-0 - very fast, close, and
ergonomic if I may... DS.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573