Re: customize-face + inherit

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: customize-face + inherit
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 23:24:02 +0300

Yuri D'Elia (2016-02-13 20:59 +0300) wrote:

> On 11/02/16 10:43, Alex Kost wrote:
>>> I'd like to customize a face so that it inherits *all* values from it's
>>> parent. That is, I want the face to be an exact copy of the parent.
>>>
>>> To do that, I can add the 'inherit' property to the desired parent face,
>>> but I would also need to *clear* the rest of the attributes from the
>>> face being customized, such as foreground.
>>
>> Hm, I recall this was an issue in Emacs 24.3.1 and earlier versions,
>> but it is fixed in Emacs 24.4 (I believe).  What's your version?
>
> I'm using 24.5.1 from debian/sid.

I use the same version.

> It seems to work for some faces, but not for others.
>
> I'm trying to reset the message-header-subject face.
>
> Removing the foreground attribute with customize-face doesn't do
> anything at all, but setting it manually through (set-face-attribute) works.

Hm, I don't have this problem.  So what I did:

- I disabled all themes with "M-x customize-themes";

- "M-x customize-face RET message-header-subject";

- "uncheck" Foreground field;

- press "C-c C-c"

and the subject color changes from "navy blue" (for the light
background) to a default (black).

> The same goes for message-header-other.
> Any idea of what could cause this?

No idea, but if you have a reproducible recipe, I suggest
"M-x report-emacs-bug".

--
Alex