Re: Hang on startup on OS X (GUI only)

From: enrique . manjavacas
Subject: Re: Hang on startup on OS X (GUI only)
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 04:45:33 -0800 (PST)

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 9:43:22 PM UTC+1, Elliott Slaughter wrote:
> (If there is a better place to direct this (e.g. a bug tracker) please let
> me know.)
>
> Emacs often hangs on startup on Mac OS X. The hangs are non-deterministic
> but frequent (25-50% of runs), consume 100% of CPU, and only happen when
> starting Emacs.app with the GUI enabled, never when running in text mode on
> the command-line. I have reproduced the hangs with an empty .emacs file and
> after having completely removed .emacs.d.
>
> I am using Emacs 24.4 from http://emacsformacosx.com/ , but notably, this
> bug has been reported multiple times by users of Homebrew (who either
> compile from source or download a binary from Homebrew's own servers):
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/issues/36737
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/issues/25003
>
> I have attached the start of a log from Mac OS X's built-in crash reporter.
> I can provide the rest of the report as well, if that would be helpful. (It
> contains various stack traces sampled from the unresponsive process.)
>
> Note that while the trace below says that I've installed Emacs from
> homebrew, this is the cask version, which is just a proxy for the
> emacsformacosx.com version, which is not the same as the Homebrew proper
> version (which was the focus of the bug reports above), which is compiled
> from source.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> ===========
>
> Date/Time:       2015-02-15 11:08:40 -0800
> OS Version:      10.10.2 (Build 14C109)
> Architecture:    x86_64
> Report Version:  21
>
> Command:         Emacs-x86_64-10_9
> Version:         ??? (???)
> Parent:          launchd [1]
> PID:             39366
>
> Event:           hang
> Duration:        4.00s (process was unresponsive for 176 seconds before
> sampling)
> Steps:           41 (100ms sampling interval)
>
> Hardware model:  MacBookPro8,2
> Active cpus:     8
>
> Fan speed:       4362 rpm
>
> [... file continues for about 1 MB of text ...]
>
> --
> Elliott Slaughter
>
> "Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to
> predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Just for the record, I was having the same problem, but it seems to have gone
away compiling the
patched version in this commit:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?h=emacs-25&id=0392e241b844487261d4dfcccc9a442793e0a868

This was also meant as a solution for the bug report posted also in this
conversation by Elliott Slaughter:

notice that the mentioned patch is for Emacs25

best