Re: removing white space highlight

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: removing white space highlight
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 19:58:46 +0000

> Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:
>
>> Suppose a programmer makes a small change to a file.
>> Then the above is run, because of whitespace changes
>> that could lead to hundreds of changes. After that,
>> how does anyone make sense of the VC annotated
>> version of the file?
>
> It will be easier then before to make sense of that
> file, because after the hundreds of changes it'll look
> a lot better.

Certainly the file itself will be better.  Only slightly in my opinion,
whitespace at the end of lines doesn't both me much.

The question is what about the *VC annotated* file?  If I blame a
particular section of a file how do I know who wrote that code and when?
The problem is I can't tell because any particular check-in could be a
whitespace change.  I'd actually have to start digging through older
versions.

Christian Kruse is correct that diffs can be handled, but they're not
the only problem.

BR,
Robert Thorpe