Re: Even more Gnus material: we made the paper!

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Even more Gnus material: we made the paper!
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 03:36:26 +0100

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> If I can get my graphics in ascii art especially for
> bar charts and histograms I'm a happy camper.

You can with gnuplot (N.B. "gnu" not as in GNU), but
IMO:

1) They don't look as good and are not as efficient to
   convey information which is their purpose.

    - and -

2) For sufficiently advanced diagrams (e.g.,
   histograms as you mention) and/or carrying too much
   data it isn't possible to do.

Here are two examples I don't think I'd do as good
with ASCII:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/articles/latex/img/plots/

But if you enjoy ASCII charts, I'm a happy camper that
you are a happy camper :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573