Re: DWIM when yanking strings with leading or trailing spaces - an idea

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: DWIM when yanking strings with leading or trailing spaces - an idea
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 10:11:41 +0100

On 2016-03-04, at 09:50, Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> wrote:

> EN:SiS(9)
> Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>> OK, I can also prove that every permutation can be decomposed into
>> a superposition of transpositions.
>>
>> ;-)
>
> By all means. ;-)
>
> I just wanted to say (but perhaps I should actually have said it ;-)
> that I personally rarely find myself wishing Emacs would insert that
> extra space. I either use transpose-words couple of times, with or
> without prefix arguments, or I kill the relevant word together with a
> space before or after and yank it in such a way that that space is in
> the right position. (I admit I get it wrong sometimes...)

And in my case, the problem happens more often.  The reason is that
I work in a journal as a copyeditor/proofreader, and I move around whole
clauses quite a lot.

> What I do run into from time to time, is wanting to transpose clauses
> within a sentence and having to manually adjust the punctuation and
> possibly an "and" or an "or". But I suspect we'll have to plug Emacs
> into Skynet first before it can be taught to autocorrect such cases.

In one case, it's easy: I have a function which inserts a dash, killing
any other punctuation in that place, and if region is active, it
surrounds it with dashes.  /Extremely/ useful.  Also, this:
http://mbork.pl/2015-10-31_Smart_comma_and_other_punctuation .

> Anyway, my opinion shouldn't stop you from creating such a package, of
> course. I mean, it bugs you, so that should be enough of a reason,
>
> right? ;-)

Yes and no.  It's on the limit of the "automation horizon" (see
https://xkcd.com/1205/) ;-)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski