Re: Preventing C-h (help-command) from deactivating the mark?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Preventing C-h (help-command) from deactivating the mark?
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 10:31:01 -0500

In article <djtlcjFan1fU1@mid.individual.net>,
 egarrulo <egarrulo@gmail.com> wrote:

> How to reproduce:
> - emacs -Q
> - mark some text in *scratch*
> - C-h c M-c
> - Emacs deactivates the mark and I wish to avoid this.
>
> I would have wrapped `help-command' to bind `deactivate-mark' to nil,
> but Emacs can't find where `help-command' is defined.  Indeed, `help.el'
> defines it as:
>
> (fset 'help-command help-map)
>
> How can I write a wrapper around `help-command'?  Thanks.

help-command isn't a function -- when you bind a key to a keymap, that
makes it a prefix key. C-h is like C-c or C-x.

Put your wrapper around describe-key-briefly, which is the command that
C-h c runs. It probably doesn't make as much sense to put it around most
of the other help commands, which display their results in a new window
instead of just a minibuffer message.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA